This is taking much longer than I expected. I have a Braves Check ready, but I want it to be on the old site. I’ll be doing a clean new installation pretty soon if I can’t get the bugs worked out this week. For now, I’ll share just a few football thoughts, note-style:
- The 49ers have zero offense, especially with Alex Smith on the sidelines. Mike Nolan was already very conservative with his playcalling, and the defense just can’t stop opposing offenses often enough to give this bumbling O a chance to win games. Still, in spite of the 2-3 record (and 3 straight losses), they could still win the NFC West, which again looks like one of the worst divisions in the NFL.
- Tennessee controls its own destiny in the SEC East? I didn’t expect to be saying that a few weeks ago after the 1-2 start, but that was a truly impressive win over Georgia. South Carolina and Kentucky won’t be easy wins, and the Vols still have all three SEC West games remaining (at Miss St, at Alabama, vs Arkansas), but at least there is hope.
- Thinking along those lines, a 2-loss SEC title-winning season would still be considered great. There are too many undefeated and one-loss teams for any reasonable shot at a national title, but I would be satisfied with just two losses. Cal and Florida are great teams, anyway. Below are the teams who are conceivably “ahead” of the Vols, by conference.
Undefeated and one-loss FBS teams:
- ACC: Boston College 6-0, Virginia and VT 5-1, Florida State 4-1
- Big East: Cincinnati 6-0, UConn and USF 5-0, West Virginia 5-1
- Big Ten: Ohio State 6-0, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue 5-1
- Big 12: Missouri and Kansas 5-0, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma 5-1
- Pac-10: Arizona State 6-0, Cal 5-0, USC and Oregon 4-1
- SEC: LSU 6-0, South Carolina and Kentucky 5-1, Florida 4-2 (?)
- WAC: Hawaii 6-0
- MWC: Wyoming 4-1
My college football top 10:
- Ohio State
- South Carolina
- South Florida
- West Virginia
Bubble teams: Arizona State, Auburn, Tennessee
NFL Power Rankings:
- New England
- Green Bay
- Tampa Bay